30.5.12

What do you think of 'wonky' anyway?

I think I've mentioned that I am participating in an online bee with 11 others this year. It is fun! I get to try new thing without having to make a whole quilt or project. The first block was for Lisa in April. I actually made two of them. I think the quilt is going to look wonderful.


That brings me to my question for you though.  Do you like wonky?  If you do, what do you like about it?  This month I had to make a block for Toni (I don't have a link for you because I'm not at home.)  She asked for wonky and anything with crooked lines.  That's my block below.  It's not bad, but it certainly isn't my favourite either.



After thinking about it somewhat I think I know why I don't like wonky. I quilt to get away from the 'wonkiness' of life. I'm a mom of 5 (ages 3 - 11) and I deal with a lot of dirt, spilled milk, arguing, messy rooms etc. It's not all bad, I'm not trying to paint that picture, but you do understand what I mean right? So when I'm in my sewing room, I like to make nice things, straight things, accurate things to balance out the 'wonkiness' that makes my life. Do I even make any sense? Anyway, that's just my take on it. What's yours?

12 comments:

  1. Hmm, interesting! I think I really like the look of wonky and very much admire quilters who can just sit down with their fabric and improvise, but as much as I like it, I have a really hard time doing it! Most of my projects are very un-wonky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonky doesn't appeal to me. I only like the wonky-ness I see about 25% of the time. Asymmetrical doesn't bother me, just wonky for wonky sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so NOT good at wonky. My brain doesn't "think" in wonky terms. I attribute my unwonkiness to the fact that I was a seamstress long before I was a quilter and therefore thrived on sewing straight pieces/seams. Wonky = bad in the clothing world. It is a hard trait to un-learn...

    And I get your "wonky" life vs. sewing life metaphor. I too have much the same life.

    Wonky word count: 6!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a "wonky" quilter either. Too much of a perfectionist. Do what you want with colors/patterns but keep the lines straight. I have to say, though, while I can't do much wonky sewing myself, I have seen beautiful wonky quilts! - Linnet

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i might like wonky just because that is how my life is....quilting for me is right out in the middle of our home and it is usually a lived in mess so i tend not to expect my quilting to always be perfect...at least these are the things i tell myself. but in general i do find the look appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen some very nice wonky quilts but can't seem to do it myself (and I don't really like doing it!). I think there's a relaxed freedom in piecing that way and I'm not relaxed enough :)
    Hope you're enjoying your quiet time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wonky enough as a person so I prefer straight too but like your sis and sisinlaw I have seen some nice not so straight lined quilts.
    Oh and..........Hi Mom, I love you! I am having a good time at Auntie Karen's but I miss you, Aunt Karen will hug and kiss me though!
    Hope your enjoying yourself.
    Love Karen and Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally with you about the wonkyness in life with kids around! I love clean straight lines myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you! Also I think wonky is almost more thinking sometimes. I like how it looks finished but I don't like to create it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you. I don't think I could get used to the wonky (although, if I did wonky, I'd have to do very obviously wonky so it didn't look like a mistake). ltenhage@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some do wonky because it's "modern" but here's a site that changes the thinking on that: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/other/geesbend/explore/catalog/slideshow/index.htm Wonky colourful "modern" quilts made in the early 1900's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like it, but I'm a math-brain anyhow, so it just looks sloppy to me - and, as mentioned above, it would have to be very wonky to not simply look like slapdash lazy work to me... although I'm trying to train my mind to grasp that people do it on purpose!

    ReplyDelete