11.9.11

Anyone with a Pfaff Expression 4?

I need some help! 

I've loved the machine so far but I can not seem to free motion quilt with it!  I tried it for the first time a few months ago and had a lot of trouble with the thread snapping every time.  It was just a little table topper though so I persevered and got it done despite rethreading all the time.

Now this past week I got Tessa's quilt basted (with the help of my cousin - thanks!) and thought I'd get a good start on it.  But it's been nothing but frustration!  I've broken two needles and my thread keeps breaking.  I've cleaned the machine, tried different needles, switched threads, played with tension and pivot height.  I'll be bringing it in this week but I really wanted to get this quilt done before our baby arrives.

Anyone with this machine experience a similar thing?  Any advise?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a Pfaff but have heard that there is a steep learning curve when it comes to fmq with it. I know that Krista (Poppyprint) has one and has it down. Maybe you could ask her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just echoing what Amy said - I heard tell that it takes about 50 hours of practice to fmq and my experience tells me that it's at least that. I got so I could do what I wanted at about the 20 hour mark but there's still a lot out of my range. One thing I was told was to slow down. Make some practice sandwiches and doodle a little bit to see what feels right. There's some great stuff on youtube too. But, it could be the machine too. I'd search out the name of the machine on internet - sometimes there's great conversations about the problem people have and how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete