8.5.11

Spring Top Sew-Along



Made by Rae is hosting the Spring Top Sew-Along again and this year I have something to enter! I made this Perfect Maternity and Nursing Top by Meg Neilson.


This is my second attempt at sewing with knits and it went well. I had to make a few adjustments. The first is that I made the empire band way narrower (the pattern piece was about 4" wide) and I found the bodice to long for me so I shortened that a bit. I like it but I'm still having trouble with the modesty panel being loose and gaping. It almost feels to big or maybe it's just because I'm too small :) I may just end up cutting it out and wearing a cami under although I'm not really going to want to layer when the weather gets warmer.

A friend also made the shirt using different fabrics.  Here's a link to her blog post about it: Lil Bean

I've also added to "A Jennuine Life's" Mother to be contest :)

5 comments:

  1. Yay! Been waiting for you to post this! :) Good idea taking the pic outside though - I have to get back into "snow's gone" better photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne... When the top is on, pin the modesty panel in place to the printed material, then take it off and sew it on each side of the 'V'. Then it won't gape along those seams. If there is no stitching line (1/4 in) along the V you may want to create a 1/4" top stitch around the whole neckline so it looks like it belongs there. The top looks very nice, good job! KarenK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip Karen! I'll try that and then see what it's like but cut out the straps that go to the shoulder seams as there'll be extra fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made it to the finals! Check it out and vote at http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/2011/05/mother-to-be-being-been-finalists.html

    ReplyDelete