11.3.11

Food Friday

In trying to feed our families healthy and wholesome meals and snacks, both Alisa's and my lives revolve very much around food.  We definitely spend more time in the kitchen than our sewing rooms!  So we thought it might be fun to have one day a week where we share something food related. 

This week I made a big batch of granola again.  It had been a while since I had done this but I'm trying to avoid boxed cereals and all the processing and sugar that comes in them.  I just looked up on allrecipes.com for the best rated recipe and found Megan's granola.  It is very yummy and my whole family loves it.  I serve it with plain yogurt sweetened with a bit of honey, and sometimes add in some fresh fruit although we seem to like that on the side better.
I made a few small changes to the recipe. I cut out the brown sugar and added 1/2 - 3/4 cup of ground flax (I put a bit less of the wheat germ and bran in to balance out the wet/dry ratio).  I also used melted butter instead of oil and added a cup or so of unsweetened coconut to it for the last 10 minutes of baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment